Thursday, April 7, 2022

God Speed

Tomorrow is probable, but not guaranteed.  Today we need to live our best lives. 

Found out a little while ago that this guy to my right died a few months ago.   He and his wife moved to Washington, DC in 2016. This is us at the Dupont Circle Club at an AA meeting in 2017 when I was out there for a visit.   It was his first meeting since moving there. He was a regular member of my home group back in Denver.  

He said he didn't need to go to meetings anymore. He relapsed a few months later.  He had periods of sobriety with several relapses.  His sober wife eventually divorced him for her own safety.  

He never made it back... his name was Alex.

This disease kills indiscriminately.  It is so much easier to stay sober than it is to get sober. It is so much easier to work the program than to suffer the pain of an alcoholic/drug addicted life.  

I am quite clear that my life depends on my sobriety.  As a bonus, I get to run because I'm sober.  I am not sober because I run.  

God speed my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leap and the Net will Appear

"What do I fear? I fear stagnation and lack of progress. I fear never reaching my potential and being average. I fear being forgotten....