Monday, April 4, 2022

Drawing from the Courage of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Early evening April 4

A shot rings out in a Memphis sky

Free at last

Theytook your life

They could not take your pride

U2- "Pride"

Dr. Martin Luther King was shot on this day, April 4, in 1968 as he exited his room at the Lorraine Hotel in Memphis, TN

His "I have a dream" speech inspired hope into millions in 1964, and continues to inspire generations/populations near and far today. It peacefully challenged the culture to live up to the ideals that were spelled out in our Constitution.

He was the ultimate disruptor in that turbulent period of time. His words resonated with so

Every time I visit Washington DC, a magnetic force draws me to the step where he put it all out there.

I stand on that step and contemplate the question, "What is my purpose?" It is an opportunity to reset my trajectory from autopilot to one of intention.





Living with intention is a courageous path. The path is filled with ups and downs, setbacks and victories, challenges and times of ease.

I regularly struggle with fear and faith as I trudge my path. Faithfully, I continue to move forward and gather help/supporters along the way who help me stay focused.

Churchill said, “To each, there comes in their lifetime a special moment when they are figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a very special thing, unique to them and fitted to their talents."

I don't always know I'm being tapped on the shoulder to do a special thing. I set myself up every day to be ready when the tap comes. When I look back, I see that so many of my actions/accomplishments were of significance, though I may not have noticed it at the time.

Just like Dr. King, the path I'm on may not be popular. It may create strife along the way. If I know that I am being true to myself, I press forward. I am constantly checking in on my purpose.

Even though I only visit the MLK step sporatically, through mindfulness practices, I can find inspiration of equal merit anywhere I am. If I am having trouble, I just remind myself of this image~!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leap and the Net will Appear

"What do I fear? I fear stagnation and lack of progress. I fear never reaching my potential and being average. I fear being forgotten....